Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Simple Home: Nourishing Tradition - The Beauty of Fermentation and Cultures

Years ago, while living in a run down farm house in North Texas surrounded by golden wheat fields, a copy of Mother Earth News ended up in my mail box. I dog-eared that copy like a second Bible. It was my only resource and 'how to' for farm style hand ground bread (very European) goat milk yogurt and this a feta-like cheese I'd make for lasagna.

At the time, I had a small herd of dairy goats, a flock of hens and I use a cast iron stove in the middle of the living room to cook red beans for days (the best beans you'd ever eat).

As a single mother, I would make and sell the yogurt, the farm bread, eggs and the raw goat's milk (legal at that time).  Along with working at a little grocery story a few hours a week - selling my farm goods - made it enough to sustain us with a simple life.

Life then was just enough. It was good enough. It was simple. It was healthy for the body and the soul.

Fast forward: eight years ago, our youngest daughter introduced me to Sally Fallon's book - Nourishing Traditions.   A large group of her friends (now all in their later thirties) would get together with an older woman and learn the art of culturing milk, making kefir, creme fresh and kombucha. I was smitten.

Life often leads you on interesting paths where you want to make it "simple" by not doing food the long way - but the processed way. . . the quick way . . . because other things seem more important. I went that "simple" way because I was busy with other things.

Moving to 9080, growing a bit of food for ourselves and some for others (that was the idea of this farming adventure) led me back to those roots (actually half my family were European farmers) of taking the time to prepare food, experience with cultures and fermented food.  I now want to share that with you . . . and Simple Inspiration will soon be offering a variety of classes to inspire you to experience what is really good. . . for you . . . for your health . . . for your family.

The interest is there and the inspiration will continue. We know this to be true because our first two pickling classes filled the limited seating within several days.




No comments: