Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Eating In Season: What Food Is Really In Season In Phoenix Right Now

Teresa, the beautiful, classy owner of Camelback Flowers, has encouraged me to do a blog post of what's in season here in the Phoenix Valley. I really appreciate that. I appreciate that because as a farmer, lover of all things good and beautiful and as one who takes her fresh (picked the day before or morning of) produce and herbs to our market store at North Scottsdale's Farmers' Market on Saturdays.

Weekly I share a spot with other wonderful vendors who are growers and brokers of wonderful looking produce. A few Saturdays ago, I had this sweet young woman come up to me and ask, "Isn't there a law that says you are not to say your produce is local if it's not?" I asked what she meant to which she replied, "I see produce on some of the vendor tables that is definetely not local grown - because it's not in season here in Phoenix and I can tell it's from Mexico and from California and other places."  I smiled and asked her how old she was...to which she replied, "I'm thirty - one."  I was impressed.

We use words like "eat local" "eat what's in season" and assume because it's in the grocery store or at the Farmer's Market that it's just that. Not so.

We started gardening extensively in our backyard four years ago (another home) and I remember calling one of my favorite nursery's to ask if they still had kale starts.  I'd been making this Tuscan Kale salad and my kale was running it's course.  That phone call was my awakening to the reality of "what's in season."  The sales person kindly responded to my request by letting me know that Kale is a winter - cold season crop and no longer available.

As a gardener, a grower and now a small neighborhood farmer, I have learned that certain crops grow only in certain seasons and that, like the thirty - one year old, I had learned "what's in season."

So, all this to say, that when Teresa asked me to do a blog post of "what's in season" I had to jump on my soap box and let you know - that as you shop - whether at the farmers' market or your grocery store, be aware of what's in season (it's healthier for you) and by that. It's not as if you NEVER buy something not in season - we do have a choice - but - be aware that buying "in season" has greater benefits.

I found this great list for fall produce here at About.com that lists out every thing that's 'in season' here in Phoenix. If I were you, I'd print off its pages and the next time you go do your shopping be a little slower to shop - and prepare your meals with what's 'in season.'  Whatever you buy that's not in season has more oil miles of expense attached to it.

Here's the list (from About.com) for October and November and if you shop at our market store this Saturday, we're making these available.


Here's what you can find during October and November at the farmers' markets in the greater Phoenix area.

Fruits and Vegetables in Season: October and November

  • Arugula
  • Basil
  • Beets
  • Bok choy and other Asian greens
  • Carrots
  • Chard
  • Cilantro
  • Corn
  • Dates
  • Eggplant
  • Figs
  • Gourds
  • Green beans
  • Green onions (bunching onions and I'itoi)
  • Kale (Tuscan and Russian)
  • Key limes
  • Lettuce (baby mix and other varieties)
  • Peppers
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Tomatoes
  • Turnips
  • Winter squash (spaghetti, acorn, butternut, etc.)
  • Zucchini

No comments: